Judge Minty is a 27 minute short film based on a minor character from the 2000AD strip, Judge Dredd.
Coming later on this year is another IDW mini-series,Judge Dredd:Mega-City Two,City Of Courts.
Written by comic book critic and Judge Dredd fan,Douglas Wolk,with art from intricate illustrator,Ulises Farinas,this should be one to watch out for.
“How do you plead?”
One of 30-ish portraits for my new show which opens tonight at 7pm at Mondo Gallery in Austin, TX.
Dredd (Pete Travis, 2012)
Judicial Departments From Other Mega-Cities
East Meets West-II.West
- Brit-Cit-Probably MC-1’s closest ally,Brit-Cit Justice Dept. is ran from the central hub of the New Old Bailey,who answer to the higher political power of the Star Chamber.It’s best known officer is Detective Judge Armitage(see also Atlantis,(Progs485-88,30Aug-20Sep’86),Judgement Day,Doomsday).Art:Sean Phillips
- Cal-Hab-Mostly independent for nearly a century,Cal-Hab,much of it a radiated wasteland(the Cal-Hab Wastes)is still governed by Brit-Cit.It’s most well-known Judge is Ed MacBrayne(Cal-Hab Justice).Art:John Ridgway
- Ciudad Baranquila-Judge Dredd has travelled to this corrupt,dangerous corner of the South-Am states on the former sites of Montevideo and Buenos Aires,more often known as Banana City,usually pursuing fugitives-former Judge Barry Kurten and mass-murderer,P.J Maybe(see Banana City,Progs623-25,22Apr-6May’89 and Bring Me The Heart Of PJ Maybe,Prog1211,20Sep’00).Art:Will Simpson
- Emerald Isle-Operating out of Murphyville Justice Central,the attitude to crime is a lot more laid back here,Judges acting more like a traditional Police force(see Emerald Isle,Progs727-32,20Apr-25May’91,Innocents Abroad,Progs804-07,10-31Oct’92 and Judgement Day).Art:Steve Dillon
- Pan-Andean Conurb-When Judge Dredd visits this area of former Peru and Bolivia,he finds the local Law enforcement lazy and incompetent(see Sugar Beat,Progs873-88,4Feb-11Mar’93).Art:Ron Smith
- Texas-City-The closest neighbour to MC-1 but not always seeing eye to eye,having fought for independence from the other two North American Mega-Cities.They wear stetsons to emphasise their difference(see Judge Child,Missionary Man).Art:Yan Shimony
- Vatican-City-Much larger than it’s present State but no less full of intrigue.Dredd has fallen afoul of their Judge-Inquisitor force and had several run-ins with one of their freelance operatives,Devlin Waugh(see Crusade,Progs928-37,24Feb-28Apr’95,Swimming In Blood,Red Tide).Art:Mick Austin
Happy St.George’s Day To All In England!
“Saint” Joseph of Dredd supplies a fitting tribute on this cover(Prog1671 ,10Feb’10)by veteran UK artist,Cliff Robinson
Preparing to head to Chicago for @c2e2!
Dredd (2012) Dir. Pete Travis
“The helmet was just a non-starter of an issue, and that’s quite frankly the way it should be. It should always have been. I read the script, a wonderful script written by Alex Garland, and got to the end and was pleased to find that Dredd’s helmet stayed on. I then took a meeting with Alex along with Pete and Andrew, and Alex said to me, ‘Just so we’re clear, the helmet stays on.’ And I said, ‘I wouldn’t be taking this meeting if the helmet came off.’ So we were both on the same page.”
- Karl Urban
2000AD/Crossovers-Judge Dredd Crossovers!
You can also see this strip as a motion comic:
If you missed the Megazine movie special last year,you can buy it digitally from the 2000AD Online Shop.
Classic Moments Of Thrill-Power™:The Death Of Chief-Judge MacGruder.
The alarmingly unhinged behaviour of former Chief-Judge Hilda Margaret MacGruder has seen her pushed from the halls of power in Mega-City One and is living out her days in an euthanasia centre,awaiting death.
Judge Dredd decides this once great leader deserves better,and in an increasingly frequent display of humanity,takes the confused but still sprightly MacGruder on one last,dangerous mission to the Cursed Earth to clear a nest of cannibals.
As Dredd suspected,MacGruder doesn’t make it but offers his former Chief-Judge a dignified end,and in a moment of clarity she thanks him before dying.
MacGruder,of course was a cypher for former British Prime Minister,Margaret Hilda Thatcher,both being the first female to hold her position and also developing senility in older age,the similarities are stark-even their names are the same,almost!
So,with the Iron Lady passing away this week,although not a huge fan,having lived through those depressing times,it feels appropriate to post this tribute to a former world-leader,whose glory days were long behind them.
Top:Explosive cover art(Prog1009,17Sep’96)from Mark Harrison.